Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley

I have been reflecting today about what President Hinckley meant to me. I wanted to share just a couple things that he said that have truly impacted me and that I try to live by today. These things may seem small to some, or all, of you, but for whatever reason they really registered with me.

First, I remember sitting in a conference priesthood session with Dad and Mike when I was still in high school. I'm sure I wasn't paying too much attention until these words caught my ear, "Husbands, cherish your wives." It was so simple, but it hit me so hard. It caused me to think about what it meant to cherish your spouse. There was never a better example of this than President Hinckley. I have never forgotten those words and have tried to truly cherish Steph because of it. He later said that successful marriages are brought about by each individual caring a little more about their spouse than they care about themselves. How true.

While I was on my mission President Hinckley gave one of the greatest talks that I've ever heard. I can't possibly sum up the whole talk here, so I will just encourage all of you to look up his talk entitled "Testimony" that he gave in conference in 04' or 05'. Again, I'm not sure that it will impact all of you the same way that it impacted me, but it can't hurt to try.

I don't know if any of you know this, but I spoke in a sacrament meeting that President Hinckley presided over. I had just returned from Boston and was asked to speak in the 1st ward. Needless to say, I was shocked when I walked in and saw him on the stand, and I still have no idea why he was there. Now I don't know about all of you, but speaking with the prophet in attendance seems incredibly daunting, and I expected myself to buckle under the pressure. While on my mission I had spoken many times in front of stake presidents, area authorities, seventies, and once in front of an apostle, and every time I was nervous. But this time I wasn't nervous and I'll tell you why. You hear all the time about how President Hinckley was so loving. Well, this time when I got up to speak, I didn't feel judged or inadequate or unworthy, I just felt loved. In that moment I knew that, even though he didn't know me, he loved me. Because of this experience, I know for myself what people mean when they say that President Hinckley was so loving. He really did love all of us and was the greatest example of Christ-like love that I've ever known. Thank you President Hinckley for your incredible life.

6 comments:

Angie Helm Interiors said...

I couldn't agree with you more Greg. He had the pure love of Christ for all men. I'm sure it gave him much joy to listen to a young man report on his mission. Wow, I would have loved to have been there.

The Garners said...

That's an awesome story! And we're glad you cherish Steph...we wouldn't let you have her, if you didn't! Actually she's really lucky and we love you a ton!

angela said...

Have I told you and Steph lately how wonderful I think both of you are? Thanks for sharing your story Greg. I didn't know about that story. I just love what his passing is doing for all of us. Did you all hear about the story of the school where all the kids passed the word around to wear Sunday clothes to school on Monday to honor him? I was so impressed that high school kids would think to do something so simple but loving. He really did impact all of us.

Greg * Steph * Andrew said...

Wow, thanks Lara and Angela. I wasn't expecting those comments.Many of the schools down here in St. George did the dress up thing. I was totally impressed too.

Greg * Steph * Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angela said...

Mike came home with some thin mint ice cream the other night. Now I remember why I've never tried it. I knew I'd love it and since it's only available during a limited time each year I didn't want to be hooked and have to wait months and months before I could have more. Anyway, Mike told me to tell you he hated it. But that would be a lie because the two of us ate more than half the carton in one night. We are having withdrawls now that it's gone. Olivia is even asking for more chocolate ice cream.

 
Blog Design By:Lara Lou